Maharatna company : How much a public sector company can invest without government’s approval is determined by its status. Maharatna company can invest upto 5000 crore or 15% of its net worth in a project.
Navratna company can invest upto 1000 crore.
Miniratna companies can invest upto 500 crore or an amount equal to their net worth.
Some of the Maharatna companies are :
1) Coal India : The world’s largest coal producer accounts accounts for 81% of India’s coal production.
2) SAIL: Sail is a fully integrated iron and steel maker and produces both basic and specialised steel.
3) ONGC: ONGC is in the business of exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
4) IOC : Indian oil is in the business of exploration and production of crude oil and gas to refining , pipeline transportation and marketing.
5) NTPC : NTPC was set up in 1975 to accelerate the development of power sector in India. It is in the business of power generation in the entire value chain. It has also ventured into consultancy , power trading , ash utilisation and coal mining.